Honey's Treasures

Honey's Treasures

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Cobb Mountain Retreat

Last Thursday afternoon we took off for a weekend getaway up in the mountains to Cobb Mountain.  Our friend has a cabin at Cobb and every so often we get to go up there to spend some time relaxing.
On the way.
Beautiful weather for a drive to the mountains.
We stopped in Calistoga to walk around a bit.
We decided to have dinner at this little restaurant.  I had the freshly caught that day off San Francisco salmon, which I think was up there with one of the best meals of my life.  So yummy!
Wild Local Salmon...............................................................28.
risotto, peas, asparagus, mushrooms, arugula pesto

Mine had little chunks of summer squash in it, too.  We sat outside (it was warm) near the little white picket fence surrounding the corner lot.  A charming restaurant.

Michael's meal:  
Grilled Pork Chop................................................................24.
sweet potato puree, snap peas, Calvados apple sauce
Calistoga Kitchen
Getting closer...

Friday morning I began laying slate tiles on the front porch of the cabin.  The guys brought the tiles to me and fresh buckets of water.  It was quite a tile job because not only was I on my hands and knees all day but there are two little step up porches that required a lot of tile cutting for Mike and Greg.  The tiles weren't even in thickness and they were very delicate and broke easily.  Sometimes I would pick up a tile and it would just break because of the unevenness of the tiles. 

In the morning on Saturday Greg and I grouted, while Sharyn and Mike wiped the tiles off.  That was teamwork and I must say it looks pretty amazing now that it's finished.  Next time we go, I'll try to get a picture of the porch.
Before grouting.  See the two steps?

After the grouting work was accomplished, we were happy because we still had plenty of daylight left to go play.  We wasted no time in cleaning ourselves up all spiffy and the four of us hopped in the truck and drove up to Lakeport for the afternoon.  What luck!  They were having an Oktoberfest down Main Street with wiener dog races and all.  It was pretty darned hot and I was really craving an ice-cream cone.  We strolled down Main Street to see what there was to see and came upon a little bakery called Angelina's Bakery & Espresso.  I wanted (needed) something sweet.  A cookie.  A brownie.  An ice-cream.  Something.  Lo and behold the dude makes his own ice-cream waffle cones.  Of course I had to try one.  Amazing ice-cream cone!  Not too thick, not too thin, fresh and tasty.  It quickly became another favorite place of mine and I'm guessing it'll be a place we'll have to visit again next time we go to the cabin in the woods. 

On Sunday we drove to Six Sigma Winery for some wine and cheese tasting.  Such a beautiful front porch they have and it was so relaxing after a weekend of hard work.  What a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment