Honey's Treasures

Honey's Treasures

Friday, February 28, 2020

Holocaust Films

I recently saw this special edition magazine on Anne Frank at the neighborhood grocery store in Mendocino a week ago and had to buy it to read.

I remember reading her diary when I was young. Ever since then, I've been fascinated by the stories of survival and heroism that came out of WWII and because of that have decided to put together a list of well made movies and documentaries that I've enjoyed watching.

I'm not including all the different versions of movies available about Anne Frank, just do a search. I've only seen a couple versions.

Mostly all of these I've seen and can say they are excellent. I'm including a few I haven't seen yet but plan to and those I've noted. There is no way I can include every movie or documentary but here is a list of some very good ones that are available on Amazon Prime.

Amazon Prime:

Hitler's Holocaust 2017

Prisoner Number A26188: Surviving Auschwitz 2013

Eldorado - Mengele Alive or Dead? 2019 (I've not seen this one yet.)

Leo's Journey: The Story of the Mengele Twins. 2001

Eva - A7063. 2017 (I've not seen this one yet but am very familiar with Eva's story and her testimony at the trial of a Nazi. In April 2015, she traveled to Germany to testify in the trial of former Nazi Oskar Gröning.) There is so much information about this incredible woman on the internet and books written. She was a rare soul, a beautiful woman.

On July 4, 2019, Eva died while in Kraków, Poland, accompanying a CANDLES group on an educational trip to Auschwitz. She was 85 years old. She made the trip annually to share her childhood experiences and give tours from her perspective as a survivor. Unfortunately Eva suffered from health problems her whole life from the inhumane and tortuous experiments she and her twin sister underwent at the hands of Dr. Mengele in Auschwitz. One thing that is remarkable about her, she forgave them all. I plan on reading more about her in the future. She is an inspiring woman.

Forgiving Dr. Mengele 2006. (I've not seen this one yet.)

The Boy in The Striped Pajamas 2008.  (An excellent fictional movie of something that could have happened.)

The Pianist 2003. (Based on a true story.)

Schindler's List 1993.  (Of course I had to include this one.)

Surviving Birkenau: The Dr. Susan Spatz Story 2018. (A must see documentary! An incredible story of survival in a horrific camp. She remembers so many details and paints a vivid picture of what it was like.)

Run Boy Run 2016. Based on true events.

Sorbibor 2019. (I haven't seen this yet.)

The Hiding Place 1975.  I have seen this movie twice but I believe someone should do a remake of it.

China's Schindlers 2016. True story of two men separately that saved many lives. Firstly, John Rabe, a German businessman Nazi Party member that saved thousands of Chinese and the second man was a Chinese diplomat, Dr. Feng Shan Ho. They believe he helped save many thousands of Jewish people, quite possibly as many as John Rabe himself. 

John Rabe 2014. This documentary ties in to the one above, China's Schindlers. John Rabe is the first man featured in that film although I haven't seen this one yet that is solely about him.


Inside Hana's Suitcase 2012. I've not seen this one but plan to.

Later on I will post on documentaries and movies from Netflix that I've seen or plan to.





No comments:

Post a Comment