Honey's Treasures

Honey's Treasures

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

That Other Green Leafy Thing

Kale.  I've never made anything using kale.  Last weekend while on the way to Pescadero we stopped at a market in Half Moon Bay.  We were both hungry and looking for something to snack on.  Me: seeking out food more on the healthy side strolled over to the salad bar area.  They had several items that seemed enticing but one thing stood out to me; Coastal Kale Salad.  Not only was it a pretty dark green, curly and leafy salad, but was extremely healthy looking.  The man gave me a sample taste and that was all she wrote.  I was hooked.  I purchased a (too small) container of it knowing that I'd be the only one eating it since Mike is not much into health foods and he was over in the potato chip isle looking for his idea of a snack.  I must point out something funny, unbeknownst to us this was a health food store, so he was having a hard time finding potato chips that he would like.   

I didn't get a large enough container of this salad, but luckily for me the ingredients are printed on the lid, which I saved, of course.  Yesterday I purchased the ingredients needed to make this salad, although I was not able to find Sunflower Greens.  Have to do some research on that one, could be a local coastal green?

Anyway, here's my version and it turned out just as delicious and found that I don't need Sunflower Greens whatever they are.

Coastal Kale Salad

1 bunch kale (washed and torn into bite sized pieces)
1/2 red onion (sliced)
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup un-toasted sesame seeds

Dressing
Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 Tbsp. Bragg's Amino Acids (a form of soy sauce substitute full of nutrition found in health food)
1 1/2 Tbsp. Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
Little pepper for taste

Simple Ingredients

Bragg's Amino Acids

Tasty Coastal Kale Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment