Honey's Treasures

Honey's Treasures

Monday, August 6, 2012

Aunt Yvonne and Rich's Remodel

In 2006 we remodeled my Auntie Yvonne and Uncle Rich's home.  It was a very big job! 
The family room with new railing and remodeled fireplace.

If you look at the fireplace, where the painting is leaning, the wall there used to be large (painted white) cinder blocks from the fireplace all the way up to the top of the ceiling.  We covered the blocks with gypsum board on the walls and covered the fireplace part with proper fireproof material which I then stuccoed over to make the fireplace adobe textured.
Looking toward the sitting room/breakfast room.
This is where it all started.  See the large open doorway to the right?  We were visiting them one day and my aunt mentioned how they would like to open up the doorway to make it a large opening.  Michael said, "Well, if you're serious, I could do this for you, piece of cake." 
And it all kind of snowballed from there.  Next thing you know, we're remodeling the whole house.
I textured and color washed all the walls with an Italian villa feel.  Aunt Yvonne chose the beautiful, bright bold colors.  See the green beams?  One day, during all the remodel, my aunt mentions she'd like to paint the beams green.  Next thing you know, I'm up on a 14 foot ladder doing just that.  No tape or tarp used.  Not a spot of paint anywhere except on the beams and my clothing.  I'm pretty good at cutting in and painting walls and such.  I have to say, it was a little hairy at times though, being way up there on the ladder.  Nerve-racking to say the least; those ceilings are high! 
The sitting/breakfast room.
This is where they sit in the morning, reading the paper and drinking their coffee. 

We had a lot of fun doing this very large project and spent lots of time with my aunt and uncle.  Good memories to treasure forever! 
Their new very large kitchen with tons of counter space and storage.  Includes a warming oven.  We also opened up the kitchen by moving the laundry room (which was the wall where the frig is) and made them a small storage pantry, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment