Honey's Treasures

Honey's Treasures

Thursday, March 27, 2014

My Daddy's Sculpture

Recently I've reconnected with my Auntie Helen's daughter, Nancy.  Helen is my father's oldest sister so naturally Nancy is my first cousin.  Nancy and I met each other again at my Aunt Helen's 84th birthday tea party in January and we hadn't seen each other in years and years.  Today Michael and I met Nancy for lunch in Sacramento to catch up a bit and she brought something for me that my Daddy made in 1949 when he was only sixteen and still in high school. 

Apparently, my dad gave his sister, Helen, this little sculpture he made sometime shortly after he made it.  She held onto it all these years.  It's signed and dated on the bottom.  Nancy said her mom dated it.  Anyway, Auntie Helen gave it to Nancy over twenty five years ago and Nancy has kept it safe and in perfect condition and she brought it wrapped up in tissue in a little gift bag to give to me today.  Thank you, Nancy!  I'll treasure this forever, it means so very much to me.  I'm thrilled.  He's beautiful and I'm so grateful to own him.

Here he is.  Ta-da!
His little hat comes off.
Look at the texture in his hair.
Here is his special little nook where I can enjoy looking at him.  I've used museum wax to secure underneath him and to secure his hat on his head.  Wouldn't want that to fall off in an earthquake or while dusting!  He's sort of yellowish with a greenish cast. 

I'm in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment