Honey's Treasures

Honey's Treasures

Friday, November 11, 2011

Pumpkin Everything!

Shilah recently told me about a 50 cent sale on pumpkins at Raleys, so yesterday after the gym, we stopped and picked up some.  She bought two since there are four in her family.  Mine was a medium to large sized pumpkin.  Last night, I cut, cleaned and roasted my pumpkin @ 350 degrees for about an hour cut side down on a cookie sheet.

This morning I scraped the soft flesh and pureed it in my blender, which gave me about 5 cups of pumpkin pulp.  Since pumpkin pie is delicious, I made two!  I love to eat pumpkin pie for breakfast, minus the whipped topping.  Hey, it's got fiber in it and that's good for you!

While the pies were baking I set about to make some Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Glazed Topping.  These cookies are so good, I doubled my batch and I'm going to share my recipe with you.


 Pumpkin Pie Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup softened butter
1 Tbsp. finely grated orange peel
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix first 4 ingredients.  Put flour, b.p., b.s., cinnamon, salt in a bowl and mix.  Add to pumpkin mixture.  Stir in raisins and nuts.

Drop by dough onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake until light brown, 8 to 10 min.  Remove from sheet and place on cooling rack.  Spread with Brown Glaze.

Brown Glaze

1/4 cup butter, melted in small pan on top of stove
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla 
1 tsp. milk, only if needed for spreading consistency.

Mix all ing. with a wooden spoon.  Frost each cookie with a small amount of glaze.  
Yummy cake like cookies!

The house smelled delicious and smells even more delicious now.
Going to roast all the pumpkin seeds tonight, they've been soaking in salt water since yesterday afternoon and are now drying on paper towels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment