Honey's Treasures

Honey's Treasures

Monday, April 14, 2014

Through Texas to Natchitoches...

Through windy and dusty Texas.

Claude, TX
Along the Cane River National Historic Trail
Michael and I fell in love with the historic town of Natchitoches, Louisiana, almost two years ago when we were passing through.  I had only scheduled us for one night back then and when we arrived all the cute shops were closed as well as the historic plantations in the area.  We we're pretty disappointed.  So, when we planned this trip to New Orleans this year with our friends, Sharyn and Greg, I definitely wanted to stop in Natchitoches for at least two nights on the way. 
Magnolia Plantation
Back in the day, all the plantations had stores in front and the local townsfolk would drive their buggies to the closest one to their home instead of driving all the way in to the mercantile shop in town.
Hand hewn by the slaves.
Cabins built by the slaves.
St. Augustine Parish Church: First church built by and for free people of color
St. Augustine's cemetary
Fishing on the Cane River
We were lucky to arrive the weekend of the Natchitoches Jazz Festival.  Our favorite band was Gino Delafose & French Rockin' Boogie.  Good dancing music.  Fun!
After the good looking gentleman in the beret saw me dance, he came over to ask Mike if he could dance with me.  He was there celebrating his birthday with some friends.
We met Helen, shown above.  She told me that if on our way home there was any way we could stop in Eunice, Louisiana, to do so.  She said it was the heart of Cajun Country.  She gave me a list of all the things to do and see.  I put it on our list.  You only live once!
I didn't get his name but he told me he was from Eunice.  Such a nice guy.  He was trying to teach me the two-step and helping me count, 1, 2, 3...1, 2, 3, and I had it for a time but then lost it, and it felt like I was clumsy.  The Zydeco music is so fast, with such a good beat that my feet just want to move.  You can see the kid to the left of us dancing by himself. 
So I started dancing with the two of them.  I brought the boy into my dance and the three of us had such a good time.
Every time I see these pictures, it makes me smile.
I fell in love with this painting and Michael bought it for me.  What a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment