Honey's Treasures

Honey's Treasures

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Parking Lot Confusion

Went to Raley's on Thursday afternoon to pick up something quick for dinner, worked all day, no time to cook.

As I steered into my parking space, an old lady dressed in a classic button front shirt and casual khaki pants, was at her trunk fiddling with some contraption, struggling to fit it into a sack of some kind. Heading into the grocery store I overheard someone asking if she needed help.  Took about 45 min. in the market, paid for my things at the self service checkout, walked to my VW Cabriolet - she was still there.  By this time, the trunk is now closed, she's wandering around checking her car and what looked to me, mumbling.  No one is nearby except myself.

The weather was warm, I loaded my bags and started the engine.  Backing out I notice she seemed a little confused, at least by all appearances, so I inquired if she needed help with anything.  The woman informed me her husband was inside, was just making certain the car was locked and she was about to go inside the store.

Warily keeping my eye on her, I drove off.  In my rear view mirror I noticed she began to walk in the direction of the store, but as she got near the cart return area did an about face and turned toward her vehicle.  What the heck???

Halfway home, couldn't get her outta my mind, remembering Mom who has Alzheimer's Disease, I made a U turn just before Mike's Barber Shop and drove back to check on her.  Ripped open a bag of Lay's Potato Chips to munch on because I was hungry.  By the time I arrive, she's inside her car, fidgeting and mumbling.  Parked my car, walked over to say hello and I ended up telling her that I was concerned and introduced myself.  We chatted for about 15 minutes, her husband's a writer, she's very active and mentally alert, they play chess, etc, blah, blah, blah, a very nice woman of 88 years.  As I'm starting to get anxious of the lunch meat and sliced cheese packages sitting inside my hot car, the husband, Tom, arrives.  He'd been inside the pharmacy filling a prescription and had this, who in the world is this person speaking to my wife, look on his face.  Margerie half-assed related the story to him and then sincerely thanked me for it.  "If only more people would look out for others, the world would be a better place" she sweetly replied.  We said our goodbyes.

Michael and I had chicken sandwiches and chips for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment