Honey's Treasures

Honey's Treasures

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lampshade I made.

A long time ago, there was a lampshade that got splashed with something and got badly stained.  I ripped it off and put some wire and beads around it and for a few years, that is what it looked like.  Until today.
I removed the wire and beads and decided to redo my lampshade.  First I ripped strips of a thin cotton fabric to the width of approx. 2.5 inches and sewed each strip on the end so I had one continuous super long strip.
Then I wrapped the frame beginning at the top and wrapping it around and around nice and taut until the entire shade was covered in overlapping fabric.  I tied in a knot on the inside and hand sewed around the top to hold in place.  This lampshade was fairly easy to do and didn't take too much time.
Unlike the rosettes.

I cut lots and lots of circles freehand out of the same white fabric approx. 2.5 to 3.5 inches in diameter to make rosettes.  As you can see, my circles are not even, nor perfectly shaped and slightly tattered which is the look I'm after.
Many, many circles.
Start with one circle in your hand.  Then slightly crimp fold a second circle and place on top of the first flat circle and hold in place firmly.

Take another circle and do the same crimp fold and place on top of the first two at a slightly different angle so the folds aren't in exactly the same position.
Continue until you have a total of four circles on top of one another to make one flower.
Four circles = one rosette.  Hand sew each flower and end with a knot on the back side to secure.
Almost halfway there.
Twenty more flowers needed to complete.
Nice and full and frilly and pretty.
I love my new lampshade.

No comments:

Post a Comment